PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Couple of ATC (UK) phraseology questions...
Old 15th Mar 2017, 10:07
Lew747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Couple of ATC (UK) phraseology questions...

Hi all, thought this is the best place to ask for clarification on 2 questions from my technical quiz I need to complete. (I am flight crew)

The crew are on the ADMAG 2X departure from LGW. What is the required RT message on first contact with London CTL:

1) London Control, EZYxxx, ADMAG 2X, Passing Altitude xxxx feet climbing to Altitude 4000 feet.
2) London Control, EZYxxx, ADMAG 2X, Passing xxxx feet climbing 4000 feet.
3) London Control, EZYxxx, ADMAG 2X, Passing altitude xxxx feet climbing Altitude 4000 feet

I thought it would be (3) because I was always told during my training to avoid using the word 'to' in transmissions as it could be mistaken for the number 'two' however some have said (1) is the correct answer? CAP 413 a bit unambiguous.

Second one:

Having committed to land at a specific aerodrome; the crew calculate that any change to the existing clearance may result in landing with less than the planned final reserve fuel. What should be communicated to ATC at this stage?

(1) PAN, PAN, PAN, FUEL.
(2) MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY, FUEL.
(3) FUEL URGENCY.
(4) MINIMUM FUEL.

I've gone for answer (4) as whilst we expect we will go into final reserve fuel, we haven't yet. Only once you have hit final reserve fuel should you declare a mayday.

Cheers

Lewis