PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 8th Mar 2017, 19:14
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Farley.....

Quote "The report makes it clear that the speeds and heights he flew were fine for the JP which he had recently displayed. I find it easier to believe that he made a single cognitive error in loading his head with the JP numbers rather that he was trying to fly Hunter numbers and made a bog of it."

I have to disagree with your statement, surely part of display flying or test flying is involves a lot of mental preparation, personally I am astounded that the the AAIB put forward the thesis and I question if a psychologist with any knowledge of flying would suggest such a thing.

Are you saying that AH as an Airbus pilot, would not recognise if he was flying a A320 or A320 which have almost identical flight decks, unlike the JP and Hunter which are very different. I do accept that in respect of the A319, A320 and A321, ongoing tailstrikes are a result of confusion of the correct pitch up in real time.

From a point of veiw of cognitive psychology, I was astounded that anyone can believe he did not know what aircaft he was flying, different instrument layout, visual cues, tactile cues, aural cues and as previously mentioned the mental preparation for a display which is essential.

I seem to remember in the Airbus A330 Toulouse accident, but I may be wrong, it was suggested that the chief test pilot (NW) may have thought he was flying an A320, in my opinion it was not the primary causal factor.

If you are a display pilot you need to remember what aircraft type your flying, the speeds, gates as well of knowing who the current prime minister is!