PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all ex-Wessex personnel
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2017, 10:48
76fan

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Lee, in reply to your pm....

Speaking as an ex Wessex 1 & 3 (and later Seaking 1) pilot, the advanced AFCS and sonar in the Mk3 and Seaking were a great step forward. The demand on the pilots for accurate flying between dips disappeared however. If a submarine sonar contact had been made, rather than working out heading & times to the next dip position and then relying on the pilot to fly the transition profiles and headings, heights, and speeds accurately in order to hopefully make sonar contact again, all the observer would say was "transition up and I'll tell you where to go". He would then use his radar to give directions to the pilot to "drive" to the area of the next dip and just say "mark dip here". In addition the sonar range of the 195 was much increased so again an accurate new dip position was not as critical as with the very limited sonar range of the old sonar ball in the Wessex 1. Of course the Observer could also "drive" another helo to a position where it could also make sonar contact or drop a weapon if other helos were also available. Where the pilots could be of help in ASW work was in identifying surface contacts (especially in the radar blind arc forward) and trying to spot any periscopes!
I will pass on your pm by email to my Obs friends and let you know if they want to be of help to you. I presume you know the basics, ie the UC (underwater controller) worked the sonar in active and/or passive modes, and the Observer was the tactician with the radar deciding where or what the sub may do, and between them the back seat crew would assess whether the sonar contact was indeed a submarine or something else!