PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident abroad? were you responsible?
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2017, 21:31
blind pew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
French accident

It was a bit complicated as the parachutists illegally jumped through cloud. They were both gendarmes and the one that didn't hit the glider filed a false statement to protect the pilatus pilot who had overall responsibility for the jump. The dead parachutist parents made a formal complaint which started the prosecution.
Iirc the pilots were flying a Comp out of Vinon with GAP as a turn point, they had an out of date map and alleged that the Comp director hadn't briefed the drop zone.
Jacque Noel and another two friends of mine witnessed it. The former went to Paris court for the appeal...I think the pilots were initially sentenced to two years.
It was very messy and there was certainly a lack of airmanship as at least one of the guys had flown out of Gap and knew about the drop zone.
The glider went down in a flat spin and the guys couldn't get out ...very late they tried changing the configuration...think it was airbrakes ...which changed the rotation and G loads. The second one got out and virtually landed a few seconds after and next to the glider.
One of the witnesses told me he was amazed at how good the reserve was and went out and bought one.

Wrt to France; the word of a single Gendarme is taken as evidence over any individual ....in the UK one needs two separate pieces of evidence. Having been nicked illegally twice .....it's not worth arguing.