PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avalon Airshow, the military industrial complex (MIC), GA a distant second place
Old 4th Mar 2017, 21:17
Sandy Reith

Received 77 Likes on 36 Posts
Fix strip

[QUOTE=Squawk7700;9695788]An informative and entertaining read thanks, particularly around Avalon East, however I must say that YAVE was going gang-busters yesterday (Sat), I don't know how many were parked, however I've never seen that many parked there for at least 6 years, they were well down past the control tower to the north. The strip was a tad rough but probably better than normal. With a distinct lack of rainfall, very little can be done to smooth it out at this time of year.
Squawk, Glad to hear that activity is up, we certainly can use any enthusiasm and promotion to the general public if we are to slow the GA decline or even turn it around. I should say good on ASDU for helping to keep GA alive.
Hopefully they understand that without grass roots flying we lose the base on which civil aviation is built.

As one who has had plenty to do with maintaining grass strips it's easy to provide a smooth surface in dry conditions. Simply run out a few truck loads of fine gravel, granitic gravel is rounded and best, at high speed for a thin cover, then drag a smudger over it. A narrow strip is sufficient. Some smart shiny pants will object and talk about uneven friction or wheel drag but from many years experience it is a non issue in your average lighty. This variation in surface composition only becomes a problem if your narrow runway centre is firm and the sides are very soft, eg wet and boggy and or, to a lesser extent, with very long grass.