PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 4th Mar 2017, 14:37
Two's in
Below the Glidepath - not correcting

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't want to see this pilot pilloried for a disastrous series of errors, any one of which any of us might make (though I'd hope most would manage to spot the trend before the lost cause point!) but I don't believe it does the cause of flying and flying safety any good to be seen touting pointless excuses as a 'get-out'. That has happened too often before and as a result lessons are not properly learned.
Biscuit 74 - When I hear hoof beats, I think horses, not zebras. Your point neatly encapsulates our aviation predilection for ignoring the obvious, in spite of the evidence. This often because we either know the individuals concerned, or we falsely conflate experience for infallibility. Every point exhaustively made in the AAIB report is a factor, but if the manoeuvre had not been entered low, slow, and under powered, the outcome would have been very different and none of those factors would have come into play. Even after the train of tragic events had been set in motion, there were still further opportunities to change the result that were either not recognized, or not taken. We can't change if we won't learn, however unpalatable those lessons may be.