PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 17:41
paulc95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to begin in my shoes.

My situation is quite unique but my ambition and dream remains the same as many other people.

22 from the United Kingdom, and like many others I too dream of becoming an airline Pilot.

I only really discovered this desire of mine around a year ago, it's grown ever since and it's all I can see myself doing as a career now despite the fact that i'm currently studying a BSc degree in Computing. I plan to see the course through and graduate with first class honours as a nice paying back up plan, and it will also help in demonstrating I can work to degree level and achieve the best results.

I am however from a poor family, below the breadline and the family home is even under threat due to parents splitting and a father who is refusing to sell when my mother owns half. Sticky situation, but i'm in student accommodation, and my journey on my own into the world starts here...

After this degree I am willing to sacrifice what's necessary, relocate, do anything to make this dream achievable. I understand License modules and flight tuition, and the hours will total upwards of £100,000 which is what I don't have.

I plan on getting a first in University, touching up a few GCSE's to add to that, in Science and Physics, to apply to any and all Airline Sponsorship programs that may be taking on at the time in 2 years. This will therefore be a good application with good grades in GCSE, equivalent to 3 a-levels with a level 3 extended diploma in ICT, and then a first class honours in Computing. So I will try to maximise my chances that way.

I also plan on going for my Grade 1 medical at Gatwick in London before I graduate just to be sure I'm eligible.

My question is after giving a brief background about me is...

What are all the actions I could take towards becoming an Airline Pilot from now till I graduate? Who should I network with? What can I study in the meantime that will be beneficial to know to help when I finally study for my license.

How could I acquire the funds if I had to pay for a flight training program myself? What would you do to achieve this dream in my situation?

I'm willing to sacrifice 100% of my time and effort for this, and don't care how long it'll take me to become a first officer.

I'm mostly looking for advice on the best steps towards this dream given my financial circumstance, as I haven't got rich parents to put me through flight school.

This is something I really really want to do with my life, I know i'll love it.

I have also heard rumors of people going off to Africa for bush pilot courses and ending up getting hired after that, recommendations of the cheapest ATPL programs in whatever country would be welcome, as well as any airlines that are doing sponsorship's etc

Thank you.