PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 10:05
jimf671

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
THE HISTORY?
Most long-established helicopter types in this class have been involved in hundreds of incidents involving hundreds of fatalities. One type had 33 known accidents, 16 fatal accidents, 116 fatalities in 2016 alone but operates in many territories where reporting is less than thorough. I couldn't count total fatalities because I kept losing count around 2700. Even the much-loved S-61 (incl SK) has been involved in over 400 fatalities and in spite of a much reduced fleet size, accidents, including fatalities, were still happening in 2016.

NEW ERA?
As stated above, we're really looking at S-92, H225, H175 and AW189. Helicomparator has made plain his view on new types and I agree with his position.

For the S-92 (13 years service), I can find 18 accidents (9 of which were in the North Sea), 2 of which involved fatalities, and 18 fatalities, 1 of which was military/paramilitary not involving enemy action.

For the H225/725 (13 years service), I can find 9 accidents, 3 of which involved fatalities, and 21 fatalities. Of the fatalities, 1 was military/paramilitary in training not involving enemy action and 7 were military/paramilitary resulting from enemy action.

H225
The H225/725 therefore appears to have a low number of accidents for an aircraft that has been in both civilian and military service for a substantial period including considerable intense public transport activity, SAR, and military/paramilitary use during warlike operations. It had been in service for 10 years before a fatality occurred and in service for 12 years before a fatality occurred during public transport operations. In comparison to the nearest comparable modern type, its history of stability on floats, means of escape, control of noise and vibration, and gearbox run-dry characteristics are superior. Fatalities in public transport operations are fewer but only through the chance number of POB at the time.