PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2017, 20:43
RachelJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appeal process?

Hey guys,

I recently completed FSP in Tamworth and unfortunately I was not recommended. The worst part is that I received an officer recommendation but it was the flying that was the clincher in the end which means that I have to wait the three years to redo it. I ended up getting airsick on nearly all of my flights and it impacted my flying considerably. In my board the president told me that the airsickness was a 'training risk' and that PSA wouldn't be processing me any further.

I did take as much time as possible to chat to the students at BFTS about it and they said that a lot of people get airsick, and that BFTS runs a desensitisation program. Which then makes me wonder whether a few hours flying aerobatics might do the trick! I'm just wondering whether anyone has ever tried to appeal the three year waiting period or whether it's pretty set in stone (which seems to be the general consensus)? I figure that if I can go and spend some money on aero's in the next 12 months and show a substantial improvement, PSA might be amenable to waiving the three year period or considering a shorter period of time before I can reapply. After failing a YOU session when I was 16, to being told my eyesight wasn't good enough, to having laser surgery, writing an appeal and finishing a degree, and then getting airsick (for the first time in my whole life) I'm not ready to give up... But three years is a pretty epic setback and I'm furious with myself

In the alternative the board did offer me a GSO (non-aviation) role, which I'm looking into. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to change corps though - does anyone have any experience doing so/know if anyone who has done so? Army aviation was a 5 in my preferences so this route (while not the path of least resistance) might be something to consider.

Any input would be greatly appreciated