PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2017, 02:30
Car RAMROD

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Eclan, 'seems' and 'probably' are not definitive terms.

Since that post I've heard two very different witness accounts and happy to say that things may not be as they first seem. If that dash cam screenshot is correct it definitely seems/appears that the gear was up.

One, on impact the aircraft cartwheeled. These forces could easily separate and subsequently fling an extended gear leg.
Two, after coming to rest the aircraft then exploded, sending the wheel out onto the freeway. This, I suspect, is not exactly a common scenario therefore when I posted the comment originally this was not what seemed was probable.

Toruck, if you have an over torque it will not auto feather on you, that's not how the system works. Pull the power lever back, if that has no effect, cut the fuel and manually feather. I would expect though, that if the engine failed after an uncorrected over torque event that the prop will automatically feather.

Certain FCU failures can occur that pumps in all the fuel it can and give you an unscheduled over torque with unresponsive power lever movement, and the only option is to shut it down.