PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oops! BA804 LHR>BLL slight mishap taxying in this morning ...
Old 8th Feb 2017, 14:08
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An unfortunate victim ice

One more time the unfortunate victim is thrown to the wolves by people who are too stupid to know better I doubt if most of them have ever taxied the Microsoft sim on ice let alone a real aircraft.

The crew of the aircraft have my upmost sympathy as a very uncomfortable felling of there but for the grace of god go I. Having operated in the frozen north for a few years now I have on atleast three occasions while taxiing very slowly when without a hint of warning I become a passenger on a jet that a split second ago I was controlling. The worst of it is there is not a clue when the combination of ice, taxiway slope, and wind forces combine with the lack of friction and the inertia to take control from you.

I now taxi on snow & ice like I'm driving miss daisy ( much to the annoyance of Aeroflot) as that way I might just yet get to retirement without sliding off the taxiway, but one thing is for sure I will as some time in the near future slide on ice but if luck and my lack of speed holds I might just stay off the green stuff.

If I was these guys DFO I would ask them to write a very frank report about the incident for publication to warn the pilot community of the hazards of taxing on ice and sent then back to flying without further action, they are neither incompetent or negligent.......... just unfortunate.