PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot fatigue...a victory, of sorts
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2017, 10:19
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It still sends a shiver down my spine when a company refuses to forward safety data to the regulator.

Flying for a large UK operator on 80's we received a quarterly flight safety magazine with all company reports and also from other operators of the same type. Many of these came via the UK Flight Safety Association. We enjoyed a lot of information about the what & why of many varied incidents, even those that were similar of others or repeat events.
In my last years the opposite was true. We heard of lots of company incidents in a single sentence on a news website, or by rumour in the bazaars. We never heard the why or how. If a full XAA report was made we would receive that, but it was a few years later, and so it could have been repeated in the meantime due to ignorance.
One suspected the companies were reluctant to promulgate information to crews because it might leak into the public domain. Towards the end of my career I felt very ignorant about operational safety issues that could have made my job safer by learning from other's mistakes. No doubt. I did have 35 years of experience to fall back on, read all data I could find and watched all Air Crash Investigation. We now have an industry where captains are home grown inside a company and can morph from cadet to captain in 4 years. They need all the flight safety information they can get to improve their overall education and improve their proactive professionalism. Instead I'm concerned they are kept too much in the dark.
I wonder how it is in other cultures, e.g. various EU & FAA lands.

It still sends a shiver down my spine when a company refuses to forward safety data to all their crews