PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XV 179 - 10 Years Ago
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2017, 18:17
airsound

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Despite being an ex-truckie, and despite having sat through most of the Coroner's Inquest at Trowbridge, I managed to miss this thread when it came round a year ago.

So I apologise for this late response to Hatchet 130's
I thought the commentator did a brilliant job and according to friends on the ground there was a lot of "dust in the air".

http://youtu.be/2SK3YV5E1ZQ
There was indeed a lot of dust, Hatchet. See, I was that commentator (and thanks for very kind words) - but it was an enormous privilege to do that for "our boys", as Lyneham staish referred to them.

And the dust got to me. In fact, I was just managing to hold it together during the long silence after the formation had lost its missing man and departed. But then I caught sight of a woman I knew, walking away from the fence, in absolute floods of sobbing, wracking, tears. Rather unprofessionally, I lost it, utterly.

Fortunately, my fellow commentator was able to take over for the next aeroplane, which, if I remember rightly, was a B1.

I'll never forget that day. And, of course, our boys remain firmly engraved on my memory.

I'm glad to say that 'Steady's' Mum and Dad are still going strong, and have posted here.

airsound

Last edited by airsound; 30th Jan 2017 at 18:41.