PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot fatigue...a victory, of sorts
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2017, 19:58
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cronus: Agree. I've said it many times, and Air Crash Investigation has confirmed it, that the pilots are the last insurance policy. When it's called upon to pay out the pax AND company expect it to do so. Sadly the company often tie one arm behind your back. Firstly the current basic training is inadequate to handle 'out of the box' scenarios: and rostering often leaves you semi-incapcatiated to think straight when even the simplest deviation from ideal occurs. If the deviation is more challenging, watch out and hang on.
Combine a scenario where you're tired and not trained for it and the outcome will be tragic. But hey; technology has advanced to make that most unlikely. The same can be said about your house burning down, but people still buy smoke sensors and insurance.
Look at the accidents; and unless the wing or rudder falls off there are many slices of cheese in the flight deck to taste.
Having said that, about engineering & bits falling off, the root cause of the Atlantic Glider A330 began in the hangar and was money related. Now there's a surprise!