PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 SIM: SE ILS with subsequent engine fire below 1000'
Old 25th Jan 2017, 15:47
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reptile
I am reviewing the CAAC ATP simulator profile, and it includes the following:

A single engine - other engine has been shut down after severe damage - ILS in low viz. An engine fire is then given below 1000' on the approach.

According to the FCTM (FAILURE AND ASSOCIATED ACTIONS): "Below 1000 ft (and down to AH in CAT3 DUAL), the occurrence of any failure implies a go-around and a reassessment of the system capability. Another approach may be undertaken according to the new system capability. It has been considered that below 1000 ft, not enough time is available for the crew to perform the necessary switching, to check system configuration and limitation and brief for minima."

The above, in my opinion, does not take into account the CAAC scenario. I would continue the approach, as there is no guarantee that the fire can be extinguished, and an uncontrolled engine fire during re-positioning and subsequent approach is a far more hazardous scenario than continuing and landing.

My reasoning may well be flawed, or I am overlooking something.

Any constructive input is welcomed.
Hi,

Is an engine fire one of the 5 reasons (+1 autoland light) to go around below 1000 ft ? No
Problem solved.
By the way you wouldn't go around even with 4 engines working.