PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2017, 07:22
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Shaft109

I've read the report you provided a link to. To pick just one aspect; the repeated use of the phrase "self-declared area of non-compliance". This is clearly a euphemism for "There's no way we can be compliant, because there is an interdependency whereby MoD/MAA must provide complementary core services, which it doesn't". Given these core (centralised) services were largely chopped, and the subject of numerous highly critical reports throughout the 1990s warning of the effect, it begs the question how other project teams cope.

If I may refer to another thread running on pprune. Nowhere does this gilder report mention, for example, a safety case or the status of the Master Airworthiness Reference. Yet, MoD acknowledges that the Hawk didn't have the former, and so the latter was fatally compromised. I'm afraid this smacks of the glider fleet being picked on as an easy target, perhaps to demonstrate that the new MAA regime is robust. Yes, there are organisational faults, but close analysis reveals many have arisen as a result of being denied resources, not because they don't know how to use or apply resources. One example is not having access to electronic data storage and management systems which others in MoD have had for 25 years and more.

I recommend other projects teams read this and ask themselves - would we pass? I know the answer, and I'd wager the "failings" are the same. I'd also like to see the MAA's recommendations, which should be the same as every ART report from 92-98 - implement mandated regulations. Only then, could you conduct a fair audit on the project team.

To paraphrase Engines - best of luck to those having to cope with this.