PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unpublished let-downs
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2017, 14:50
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice question, but when I started thinking, I immediately felt a lack of information!

Anybody here firm on details how "published" let-downs are done?

What are the steps to let us assign a quality flag and what do we exactly gain on the "this is a published approach"?

Yes, a clerk at his table and a crew in an official aircraft, measuring approaches twice a year in VMC, do have the responsibility to do their job right, but they also have the "get out of jail for free card" when just following written procedures.

But no, on the other side I have the ultimate accountability sitting left seat and if I fail, I die. If I build a personal let-down based on daily ops at a specific airfield, will it do better or worse than the published, for me and/or others using it?

What does this tell us about the potential quality of approach let-downs? I.e. if I know I have to cut that corner 10 degrees left, because I always have the tendency to do this and that, I gain a personal let-down for my skills. Does a "published" approach gain additional safety margin, because the measure will be "the average pilot"?

The longer I think about, the more complicated the original question gets.