PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines cargo 747 crashes in Kyrgyzstan
Old 19th Jan 2017, 08:14
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lemme
TK6491 appears to have over-rotated and zoom-climbed. The final resting place suggest it stalled and crashed nearly directly below.

Satcom Guru: TK6491 747-400F MyCargo/ACT Airlines, Manas Airport (FRU/UCFM) in Bishkek
Not sure I buy the zoom climb, looks to me like the plane was already breaking up as it went to the scene of the accident.

Originally Posted by sjimmy
I read that potentially they where high/ above GS.
What one would do to catch the GS is to dial the alt on the MCP to a lower value.
What IF this value was set to 100/200ft AGL on MCP. And at a check height they did not see the wrong GA ALT was set.
Now they end up doing a GA. They press TOGA . Aircraft goes up and directly captures at alt in the MCP window.
Just a theory!
There was a Boeing procedure like this years ago for non-precision approaches with mins set in the window but I don't think it would apply to a low-viz ILS autoland. I'm thinking they were high and fast, started down late, maybe forgot to arm the G/S before turning final and chased the path with vertical speed and the ATHR pulled the throttles back to idle.