PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two Years in the Aviation Hall of Doom – plus 33 years!
Old 18th Jan 2017, 03:40
Dick Smith

Received 68 Likes on 27 Posts
Two Years in the Aviation Hall of Doom – plus 33 years!

I found an old copy of Two Years in the Aviation Hall of Doom on my bookshelf. I started to read the first page and couldn’t put it down until I had finished it.

Yes, it certainly reminds me of what is happening today. Isn’t it incredible how we have done a complete circle in about thirty years and are back to where we came from?

All of the major issues in Two Years in the Aviation Hall of Doom were solved – including the first of type certification and the ridiculous system where VFR aircraft were separated from VFR in primary control zones using IFR separation standards.

But of course we are returning to the old days – the first of type certification has been reversed, and now aircraft which do not require flight data recorders in the USA need to have them fitted in Australia. Rather than follow the airspace of other countries at places like Williamtown, we now once again separate VFR aircraft, causing delays that are not necessary overseas.

Here is a scan of the back cover. Thanks to the cartoonist who did the ‘Slowly throttled to death’ drawing.

Here is a link to the complete book. If you have 20 or 30 minutes have a scan, then cry about how we have returned to the old days.