PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lord Howe Trip?
Thread: Lord Howe Trip?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2017, 05:12
Tonym3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did it 10 days ago

I am on Lord Howe Island as I type to you, having just flown a sightsee around balls pyramid. Flew out here on the 4th and will be flying back to Sydney area tomorrow. Piper Saratoga IIHP.

This is the second time I have flown the Saratoga to Lord Howe. I bring my wife and six year old with me. I don't know if it is because I flew the aircraft back from Portugal over more water than I care to remember but the 2.5 hours YWVA direct doesn't fill me with dread. The approach and the island are more than enough to attract me and I figure that the engine don't know the difference and the six man life raft and two PLBs and life jackets are likely to be enough to wait for some kind of rescue and if they were not, well, I guess I wouldn't mind too much if that was the end plotted for me. Family thinks likewise.

The island is so magical that whether you fly yourself or on QLINK you just have to get here.

There have been several lightyish craft here over the last 10 days. Most of them twins but another PA32 was here as well. A partenavia is a regular freighter from PMQ.

As for tips, the only think I do is plan to fly outside the active times for R574. Weekends are usually ok but a really early start from Warnervale will get you out of the restricted area before it activates. If you are trying to get through it, it can be done but I think it is painful. I heard someone trying to get clearance and they were struggling. Had to fly to YPMQ I think. There is a form to fill in on the lhib website to register that you are coming and pay your bill.

I have on each occasion set a 30 min sked on Bris centre. They are great at checking where they have coverage and setting primary and secondary frequencies. Only ever needed primary.

Otherwise, usual rules apply. There hasn't been a day this past week that was unsuitable even though we had wind. There usually is wind here but I believe worse in the winter.

The position of the airport and the mountains brings turbulence that makes the approach interesting but for my money I suspect it is tougher for Qlink than it is for me. 880 metres is plenty for me to come in on a steeper than normal approach to allow for sink etc. Not sure how the Cirrus goes. Heard they use a bit more runway and a bit fast approach speed so YMMV. Runway 10 definitely the easier approach.

I love it here. You will too.