PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada Rouge at Montego Bay
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2017, 19:09
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideally, the PM performs this role, but the PM can be as much "in the loop" as the PF. This psychology affects all teams of people, in any discipline. People assigned to monitor can become too closely involved in the execution of the task.
Trained procedures and SOPs help the crew to assess their performance, but when you go outside that envelope you can also lose the awareness and ability to recognise that you are dangerously outside the envelope.

You may be correct, but 2 comments on your points.

1. PM, if a recent cadet F/O, creates a steep cockpit gradient. Having said that, in today's new world the LHS might well be a cadet captain as well. That brings in its own problems in a critical situation. Pilots, especially new F/O's, have it drummed into them to 'advocate their position' and not be afraid to question and speak up. Easy to say. However, wth a low experience base it can cause hesitation to speak up because their 'envelope of experience' or 'comfort zone' is so small. It is easy to become outside it, but are you sure there is danger.

2. That brings us to the point about 'dangerously outside the envelope'. I've been through TR courses on many Boeing a/c in many companies. What has been noticeable, sadly, is that since the rapid growth of the new airlines, IMHE, the envelope experienced under training is very small; well within the the boundaries of the a/c design. They have been taught, even restricted by SOP's and philosophy, to operate within such a very tight box that is astonishingly easy to stray outside, either by lack of attention, outside elements including ATC or Mother Nature, or non normals or a combination of some of those. The scenario is perfectly manageable by a well trained crew, but to the many who have been drilled in the world of automation first and factory fed rigid system they become a fish out of water in search of a paddle.
Years ago we were taught, extensively, how to fly the a/c, then how to operate it according to SOP's and then how to manage it under normal & non-normal conditions. We were encouraged and expected to maintain those skills every day. Our abilities, based on knowledge & gained experience, was huge compared to many of today's crowd. Sad but true, but not universal.
I speak to friends in different national carriers who fly B747 B777 A320 A330. They can pole it around onto visual approaches & short finals as they see fit and circumstances allow. The maintain their learnt & developed competence every day: and there are some destinations where those skills are vital.
I have trained pilots, for some operators, on base training where the standard circuit used as part of their licence & type rating is not allowed on the line; and even extended visual circuits manually flown are discouraged. Go figure.

There is such a diversity of standards and philosophy amongst operators that finding a common solution to these reoccurring problems will be nigh impossible. During all this discussion I know of some operator's TR syllabi where the amount of manual flying in the sim as been reduced. Go figure, again!

Last edited by RAT 5; 11th Jan 2017 at 19:46.