PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2017, 16:28
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Welcome Farmer George! While you were watching Danny & Co. at Valley in 1951-52 another little lad was watching the Brigands, Hermes, Argonauts, Dakotas and Constellations at RAF Khormaksar, Aden. Our account of a very different boyhood there began with #3515 p176. Thanks for reminding me of HMS Sheba, the Royal Navy's base at Steamer Point, whence came a couple of our classmates at Khormaksar School.

There were only a couple of RN families and their children returned home to Steamer Point after school, a source of regret to them as they could not be full-time members of the pestilential Khormaksar Kids, but of great relief to their parents (as in: “Have you heard what those bloody kids have done NOW?”)

Ian16 reminds me of our trip home from Aden in a Hastings: Boys wore shorts in those days and as we headed north I began to feel an icy blast across my legs. The double doors alongside were battered and I could see through the one-inch gap along the bottom. Dad said the Hastings had been used on the Berlin airlift and like the Dakotas and Yorks had taken a battering.