PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2017, 16:04
Danny42C

To all my well-wishers.

My sincere thanks to all for the congratulatary Posts sent in about me. But I've always regarded having this Thread to scribble in as a privilege to be grateful for. How many old "mute inglorious Miltons" must there have been, who've gone to the grave without a hearer for the marvellous stories they were itching to tell - but with nobody to listen !

Now let us join in welcoming Farmer George (#10002) and R14SS (#10009), aboard this Prince of Threads and hunt around in our infinitely extensible Nissen cyber-crewroom for another couple of ricketty chairs for them to perch on - while they listen avidly to the Wisdom of the Ages, which is always on tap round the smoky old coke stove (chimney pipe glowing dull red) and defy the freezing weather outside !

FG, so I had a secret, small admirer watching me as the 20 Sqn Spitfires trundled in and out of Valley ? ('Y Fali', I'm told). Did you ever hear of the Spitfire wheel which fell off as a chap got airborne from 19 (?), and did an unbelievable amount of damage in Rhosneigr (judging by the claims on MOD !) There being no ready market for Spitfire wheels in Anglesey, we got the wheel back and were able to find cause of the bother.

Or hear about the Beauty Competition (ca '50) which went badly wrong - but such matters wouldn't interest a six year old but the Lead Soldier Man (a year later) was right up your street. And did did you ever see a little green Bond Minicar (Google) - only one on island - buzzing about ? (sometimes with the then 'squeeze' - Ann Pearce [Bangor], where are you now ?) That was me !

Bit hazy about r/ws, as I remember, we always used 19/01 all the time, was a small short E-W r/w, landed a Vampire there once in teeth of a howling gale one day, no trouble. Looks as if they've built a long 14/32 for the Hawks.

Yes, Alex Hindley was the best of bosses, went to India and grew very rich, but came to a sad end, I'm afraid (reported by old friend Flt Lt Niel (sic) Ratan Ker (RIP). No use raking up now).

Memories, memories !

Danny.