PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot fatigue...a victory, of sorts
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2017, 17:30
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an understanding of why pilots push the boundaries. It has been discussed in accidents - the 'why did they continue on?' I've been there done that with horrendous rosters; thinking about them afterwards. I was fit, young and enthusiastic. In small companies there was the "let's help the company' attitude. Too late before the many realised they had been shafted, and the few had a 'told you so' look on their faces.
Pilots are mission orientated and in a vocational profession. Admitting you can't complete the mission is not in the DNA of many. It's very sad when that is abused by the top dogs and not appreciated when it happens. As we grew older we realised this and took a step back and said no; not anymore. Then we became an uncooperative trouble maker. Fortunately there were some who had enough backbone, helped by finances, to stand firm. Guess what; a little push back, when on solid ground, worked. Sadly, too few over the decades have done that.
More power to their cause and shame on the managers who expect anything else than true professionalism.