PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADF required for IR(R) and IFR?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 21:33
n5296s

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure how many airfields in Europe that can take a 737, let alone a 787, have an NDB approach with no alternative RNAV approach to the same runway.
I thought the issue is that even to fly IFR legally in some countries, you have to have ADF? Even if nothing you are planning to do uses it. I remember that a few years back, IFR in Germany required not just ADF but either two of them or one with a flip-flop frequency change, presumably so you could safely identify a fix by NDB intersections. No idea whether Germany has crept into the 21st century yet, but I'll bet there are countries that haven't.

You are quite correct with the VOR that you state...... the distance in not plauseable the problem is that a number of radio aids within a few miles of each other have the same ident.
You mean the same country has say an NDB and a VOR close to each other and with the same identifier? That really is madness but I suppose what is, is.

Problem is that regardless of what the xAA says, the danger is there already. I'm sure there are lots of people flying by GPS who never tune a VOR or NDB, regardless of what the rules say, even if they do have the equipment. Moral of the story is to look carefully when your navigator says "do you mean XXX Little Snorington VOR or XXX Greater Snorington NDB?".