PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVA B777 close call departing LAX
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 10:21
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highspeedaluminium
You are using information (in this thread) to suggest they narrowly missed antenna, terrain etc...and then conclude that they "IGNORED" GPWS warnings?Case closed!
+1
This tread is going nowhere and I am surprised it still goes on. Trial and mobbing by internet.
For those waiting for a CVR transcript , as the flight continued to destination I doubt you will ever see it ..but that said. today with smartphones , everything is possible...
Rest assured that Eva Air will investigate , and probably send the FAA a nice letter. The guys running the airline OPS are very good and quite sharp.

As to the " southbound" calls , this would have probably been queered and understood in a normal no-stress situation. But here the lady first confused the crew by mixing up instructions, then lost it when spotting the potential conflict with ACA, , then shouted , words like " What are you doing? " and her repeated " turn Southbound" calls. confusing even more the crew.
A simple call " EVA turn right heading 180" at any time during the event would have solved the problem.
That is the lesson to be learnt here , used standard phraseology, the more so when in an emergency situation . She could have even added " expedite" . nothing else.

I bet you the lady will go back to the sim with a few reminders , something will be learnt out of that one for everybody else in San Diego and it will be a bit safer for everybody as a result.