PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maurice Kirk is in Africa
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2017, 23:38
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Step Turn
Yes, but those aircraft were returning from urgent efforts under extreme duress, as opposed to departing on a recreational activity. I wonder in KURK will takeoff with a log book entry stating that the the repairs were done in accordance with approved/acceptable data, and that the aircraft is airworthy?

We should not condone a lesser standard of airworthiness just because a character would like to continue a recreational journey without due diligence in repair and maintenance following a crash - particularly when that individual is flying a G aircraft outside the UK, and seemingly "representing" private recreational aviation.
Whether recreational or survival I think is irrelevant, in either case it is considered necessary by the pilot.
A logbook entry is not going to hold the aircraft together, nuts and bolts do that, regardless of bits of paper.
I wouldn't believe that the old trailblazers over Canada wouldn't have done the same if the need arose. It's only today's society's rules that say it "can't be done".
Let's see it fly before commenting on the competence of the engineering.
This guy is representing the spirit of DOING it, anyone with two brain cells wouldn't believe that normal, every day GA is practiced in this fashion.