PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Resignation Tips
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2016, 18:30
Mr Good Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonoma
Mr Good Cat
"I think someone is pulling your leg my friend. Not sure anyone over there really wants you to convert to Islam in a city where most of the local men drink alcohol and visit prostitutes."

Factually incorrect Mr. Good Cat. That's a similar mindset to the MMD. It's unfair to simplify something, which for many westerners is beyond imagination, as the religion is the core of the law and the culture.
I was always surprised by how little knowledge people who lived there had of the law, and how easily they could find themselves in jail.
An important part of the religion is to convert non believers - numbers are everything and it accelerates the converter's path to paradise. Thus the law in so many of these countries, proscribing death or severe penalty for leaving the religion.
It's also incorrect to label all locals as you have. There are many who have a genuine belief in that way of life, and who don't partake in the activities you mention.
I believe new CC are still subject to a tour of the city's cultural highlights, including a visit to a mosque, where a western convert talks up the religion and suggests it strongly as a way of life. I can remember being told of this by CC. The GN newspaper used to have an annual boast of how many 'embraced' the religion. Never mentioning those forced to do so by the law as a result of marriage. This is a society, and company, in which those belonging to that religion are treated far more favourably than non believers.
I'm not arguing your other points, but it's best to be factual.
It's also incorrect to label all locals as you have.
I actually said most not all, but I agree it was a bit flippant so let's say a significant amount rather than most which I agree is unfair and I apologise.

where a western convert talks up the religion and suggests it strongly as a way of life
Just like anyone who has joined a club and likes to recommend it to others. Catholicism, Scientology, EPC, AmWay, The Sailing Club etc etc all do their best to sell themselves, but never seen any pressure put on others to join... Except for this one venture that promised miraculous returns on an investment of 20,000USD. I believe that a fair few CC and pilots were converted that one.

The only westerner I ever witnessed convert to Islam started wearing a Kandora and handing out warning letters from behind the desk of the CP Boeing Fleet. Think it didn't last that long before he was caught with his religious contemporaries paying for services at the York Hotel...? mmmm...