PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 30th Dec 2016, 12:27
EstorilM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noflynomore - True - and I agree, which was very poor airmanship (or, a continuation of poor airmanship, which shouldn't surprise me given what we know now!)

I simply mentioned it as an observation into what their frame of mind may have been regarding pulling CVR CB's, which has about an entire book of (albeit) circumstantial evidence at this point.

Also as far as what the ramifications would be for landing dry on a commercial flight; as many have said, there would be significant actions against the pilots and carrier, plus subsequent investigations most likely - BUT (again, re: thought process of potentially pulling CVR CB's) if they had to declare an emergency or even mention some type of fuel problem, etc, they'd almost certainly be under Govt investigation - as I assume that's SOP out there as well?

Again, without the CRV they gain some level of deniability - but that's almost guaranteed to be totally out-the-window based on what was probably said in the last 30 min of that flight.

I'm curious if this had been done previously? I wouldn't think it's exactly second nature to reach up (behind?) and yank a CB in the middle of a crisis. Given the continued evidence of sustained 'normalization of deviance' ops by the carrier and specifically, that PIC (who again, had an arrest warrant out on him!) I wouldn't put it past him to pull the CVR CB's on some of the other tight fuel flights.

In fact, at that point in the flight, there probably wouldn't have been any significant difference from their other extreme-range flights on that aircraft in the past. No obvious reason (at that point) to pull the CB, unless (again) it became "a thing" as they approached bingo fuel on these flights.

How long do these CVR's record? Did we figure out the model? I know some of the more modern units record for a LONG time. I'd assume the investigators went back to check if there were cut-outs towards the end of other flights.