PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 28th Dec 2016, 16:49
andyc1988

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking my first steps

Hello everyone, I hope you've all had a good Christmas and haven't had to work too much.

I believe I am posting this in the correct forum due to my long term intentions, please let me know if not. In short I am seeking advice on how best to proceed from 0 flying hours to an airline career. Please forgive any incorrect terminology used.

A little about me...
I have had an interest in aviation for many years, my childhood desire to "become a pilot" recently became an achievable prospect when I discovered how cost effective PPL/PPL(m) licences and associated hour building can be. I have always had a keen interest in mathematics, physics and mechanics so I believe my aspiration to be a pilot is realistic. I currently work as an ambulance technician and the ambulance crew working model appears to bear a very close resemblance to that of a flight crew, which I believe may stand me in good stead. I'm 28 years old. I do not have the cash to obtain my fATPL/MPL and type rating.

The purpose of this post...
I'm seeking advice from any willing members on how to start flying, I invite your feedback and criticism of my plan as I would hate to take the wrong path.

I am a risk averse person so jumping straight onto a c£100k flying programme either sponsored or self-funded is not for me. My current intent:
1) Obtain my PPL and buy/hire/syndicate a plane.
2) Log 'a few hundred' flying hours to ensure that piloting is not a novelty that I will tire of, and to confirm whether it is something that I have some aptitude for.
3) Apply for my class 1 medical (at present I see no reason to fail this).
4) Either obtain my CPL and fly professionally for a few hundred/thousand hours or apply for the highly competitive cadet pilot schemes by Virgin/BA, etc...
5) If CPL route, keep applying for cadet pilot schemes until successful or until I can afford to fund my own training.

At stage 1 I am keen to obtain my PPL(m), my research indicates it would cost £3-5k to obtain the licence then a 3-axis microlight could be purchased for c£5k. I feel that if I did not progress onto commercial flying I would likely continue flying for leisure, and a 3-axis microlight appears considerably cheaper to fly than a category A plane. I would also be able to own rather than syndicate a microlight vs a Cessna/Piper, etc...

Stage 4 is something I am uncertain of, a CPL appears to be achievable for £10-15k but is it enough to start experiencing true commercial flying and earning enough money to be able to afford an fATPL/MPL?

I'm aware of other qualifications that might be added on as/when affordable or relevant such as instrument rating, multi-engine, multi-pilot, etc...but I'm not sure where they play their part between a PPL and a sponsored/self-funded fATPL/MPL.

Any advice, suggestions, opinions, constructive criticism is welcomed.

Thank you.