PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2016, 10:18
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All POWs were interviewed when they eventually got back to UK at the end of the war. I have in front of me the statement made by Alistair Panton on 18th September 1945. I thought some of you out there might find it of interest.

SECRET STATEMENT BY

33331 F/Lt. Alistair Dyson PANTON, D.F.C., 53 Squadron, Army Co-op Cmd.
Attached Coastal Command, R.A.F.

Captured: Nr. Ghent, 15 July 40. Liberated: LUCKENWALDE 22 Apr. 45.
Date of Birth: 2 Nov. 16. Peacetime profession: R.A.F.
R.A.F. Service: Since Jan. 36. Private address: xxxxxxxxx, Bedford.

1. Capture.
We took off from DETLING in a Blenheim aircraft at 21.30 hours on 14 Jul. 40 to bomb oil storage tanks in the SCHELDT CANAL. On the return journey the aircraft was hit by flak and I crash-landed in a clearing among woods.
The aircraft was burning so we burnt our parachutes in the fire, and started to walk through the woods towards the coast. My observer and I walked all that night but, both of us being injured, we sat down by the side of a road in the early hours of the morning, and were picked up by Luftwaffe personnel.
I was taken to a Military Hospital in BRUSSELS, where I stayed for about a fortnight and was then taken to MALINES. There I was put in a barrack which was being used as a Hospital. I remained there for most of August. I was then sent by truck with a party of French soldiers to a place near AACHEN, where I was placed in a shed. I escaped during the night.
I was recaptured the following day and after spending that night in a cell I was taken by train to DORTMUND and HAEMER, where I was kept in solitary confinement for about a month. At that time I was taken by train to DULAG LUFT (OBERURSEL), where I arrived on 15 Oct.
After spending one night in a cell, I was interrogated and transferred to the Main Camp.
2. CAMP IN WHICH IMPRISONED
DULAG LUFT (OBERURSEL) 15 Oct - Dec.40
STALAG LUFT I (BARTH) Dec.40 - March 42
STALAG LUFT III (SAGAN - East Compound) March - Sept.42
OFLAG XXIB (SCHUBIN) Sept.42 - Apr.43
STALAG LUFT III (SAGAN - East Compound) Apr.43 - 27 Jan.45
STALAG IIIA (LUCKENWALDE) 2 Feb. - 22 Apr.45

More to come: