PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2016, 17:04
JW411

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geriaviator:

I think your Alistair Panton is F/O A D Panton DFC of 53 Squadron which was based at Poix in 1940 flying Blenheim Mk.IVs. He was first shot down on 11 May 1940 (from my book about 53 Squadron).

"P/O Panton DFC and crew set off on their second survey flight of the day in L9459/B at 1455. They were shot down by 5 Bf109s in Belgium. All three were wounded, however P/O Panton and Sgt J Christie (obs) were able to evade capture and escaped back to England. The gunner, AC2 R W Bence, was captured in hospital and was sadly to lose a leg. He was taken to Stalag XII but was repatriated later in the war".

"Six aircraft took off (from Detling) at 2135 on 14 July 1940 to bomb oil storage tanks near Ghent. F/O Panton in N3551/E got caught in the searchlights and was shot down by flak. He and his observer, Sgt A E Farrow, were captured. Sgt L H Stride, wop/ag, was killed. (Panton ended up eventually in Stalag Luft III). After his release from Stalag Luft III at the end of the war, F/O Panton went on to become Air Commodore Panton CB OBE DFC and was to put his new found skills to good use when he commanded the RAF Police!".

P/O S G L Pepys was also 53 Squadron. Shot down in Blenheim R3691 on 23 May 1940 and also ended up in Stalag Luft III.

Air Commodore Panton sadly died about 10 years ago. I hope that helps.