PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TU154 out of Sochi is missing.
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2016, 11:12
SLFandProud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sochi is a resort city, on approximately the same latitude as Rome. Palm trees grow there. This should give you an idea about the climate.

ETA: Yes, they had the Winter Olympics. Speaks more of corruption than appropriate climate imho.
I live in Bucharest, other side of the Black Sea and only a little bit further north than Sochi. It's been a remarkably mild winter so far, very little precipitation (a day or two of snow at most that I recall), low single digits in the day and low (or should I say high?!) negative single digits at night right now. I fly out of Otopeni on average at least once a week if not twice and I don't remember seeing the deicers out yet this year.

(By contrast, two years ago it was around -15/-20 by mid December, which is if anything more normal. Last year's December was also mild but we paid for it with blizzards in an absolutely horrible freezing January and a somewhat rubbish spring...)

On the last point, I'm sure you'll not be surprised to learn that the weather at sea level and the weather a few thousand feet up a mountain can be somewhat different. Many of my friends are spending this time of year skiing in the Carpathians despite the mild winter down on the ground.