PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC 225 Return to REAL Service
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2016, 02:07
Twist & Shout

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
I have asked this question before....what is the "proper fix"?

How does one engineer a Detection System for a MGB that can detect, identify, and warn the Crew of every critical failure mode in advance of a catastrophic failure serious enough to cause a Fatal Event?
I think there is a difference between the above, {...warn crew of every critical failure mode in advance of a catastrophic failure....} and flying a machine with a known fault (rotor system detachment during flight) and a proven history of killing people due to that fault.

Like most of us, I have flown many different types (inc AS332, and EC225).
I can't think of another type currently flying that has suffered a catastrophic inflight break up, for an as yet undefined, let alone rectified reason. The report on the latest tragic crash has not even been finalized.

Examples (some of many)
Airliners explode - traced to stress risers from window corners. Round windows only.
Tail rotor damaged by lightning - earthing strips added.
Turbine wheel coming apart - turbine wheel redesigned.
Rotor fails - traced back to repair following lightning strike. No implications for unrepaired blades.
Loss of transmission lubricant - oil filter studs replaced with upgraded version.

All seem reasonable outcomes from bad situations. Not any sort of guarantee, but offer a logical and very reduced likelihood of repeat fatalities.

Rotor system detachment with no warning - "just fly it, we think we know what might have happened. It might not happen to you."

Doesn't seem reasonable.

Remember Einsteins definition of madness : Doing the same thing, and expecting a different result.
I personally don't want to fly an EC225 expecting the rotor system to detach.

My personal answer to SASless's question:
A re-designed gearbox that is up to the task.

Is it guaranteed to be perfect? No. But unlike the current design, it's not a proven killer. Many other gearboxes are up to the task, so it's not quite rocket science.