PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2016, 11:54
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
THE PARKHOUSE MEMOIRS – Part 15

The memoirs of Sqn Ldr Rupert Parkhouse, recorded in 1995 – Part 15. First post in this series is #9775 on page 489 of this thread.

EVENTUALLY we came to a deserted village and my crew said we really must rest overnight, so we found some eggs, climbed into a hayloft and slept fitfully until the morning when I woke to Morris snoring and guttural German voices. A supply column had moved in overnight and soon we were prisoners once again.

They were very good-humoured and took my crew to their field kitchen for coffee and black bread, while they took me to their command car where the Hauptmann [major] said in perfect English: “What a pity our two nations are fighting again because I have an English wife at home. For you the war is over”. He beckoned to his batman who produced a couple of chairs, black bread with jam, and coffee while we talked for half an hour. He told me that his wife came from Devon, which he knew very well, then he apologised for having to send us to the POW collecting point.

On arrival I was put among a group of French officers while my crew were put among the French poilus, although I tried to argue they were warrant officers and should stay with me. We slept in four cottages surrounded by barbed wire and were fed from a French kitchen for about four days, then marched out in a long column. My crew had very bad dysentery and were put on the medical cart, and though I was constantly aware of my duty to escape somehow I just couldn't leave them. Since I had landed them in this mess through my instrument flying error I felt very guilty about the whole thing.

When we reached Meaux I was placed in the civil prison while my crew were put in the infantry barracks. My gunner MacDonald had become really ill and was placed in the hospital where I was able to visit him but I was very shocked by his condition, I just hoped he would not die.

I remained in prison for about three weeks and was able to give a letter to my parents to a French war correspondent who was due for release. It reached them eventually via the American Embassy. I was very worried at the effect of my capture would have on my parents as my brother had been an invalid from birth and I was in effect their only son.
NEXT POST: Rupert tries vainly to find another way to escape, reproaching himself when he is unable to do so.