PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 10:05
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
AerocatS2A :

Trial by You tube !
Well " Comparison is not reason " always hammered my philosophy teacher in high school.
It's a datapoint and a thorough investigation would take it in to account and give it the weight it deserves. For us plebs on the sideline we don't have access to much of the information and so perhaps we give the datapoint too much weight, or maybe we are right on the money.

I think it is normal for an investigative team to ask "what normally happens in this operation?" IF the marginal take-off by the previous Aerosucre flight is what normally happens then it is not very surprising that they eventually crashed.

Likewise we might ask "how does LaMia normally operate their long distance flights?" If it is found that there was a culture of eating into their reserve or not planning for any reserve at all then again, not very surprising that they eventually run out of fuel.

I don't have an opinion on what Lemme is doing. The only thing I thought when I read some of his material is that he has too much time on his hands, but I understand that people develop an interest in things that don't interest me to the same extent.

I would rather see someone put some critical thought into their amateur sleuthing the way Lemme is, rather than the useless dreck that the more ignorant put out.

For what it's worth I think the comments about objectivity are the wrong way around. Lemme wants to investigate as much as he can with publicly available information and doesn't want the official report to bias his own work, in other words, he's not worried about the official report being objective, he's worried about his own objectivity being biased by knowledge of the final report. Basically he doesn't want to know the answer before working it out for himself.

Another poster commented that Lemme's interest is academic, and I think it is exactly that, a very academic interest in accident investigation via publicly available information.