PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 20th Dec 2016, 13:05
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonewolf : I am not a 777 pilot , but I am a Human factors guy, and I would bet those guys all passed all their check rides on the Knot, but the interesting bit for me is why they dot not monitor speed this time : lapse, negligence or training issue ?

And the answer is in the report : they all 3 said expected the automation to protect speed in all modes but they stated they did not know it would not do so when in the " Hold " mode " . Further the PF sated he never did a visual approach without a Glide slope before.
Those were not inexperienced pilots, both in the 10.000 hours range.

The aircraft is know to have a few automation traps ( most a/c do, not only Boeing 777s ) and the airline recognized those were not emphasized or taught to the crews during their training although the philosophy of the Airline was to : "make full use of all automation and did not encourage manual flight during line operations " (quote from the report)

So negligence from who ?

sorry for the thread Drift..

Oh, and by the way Lonewolf, totally agree with your last paragraph. Although one could debate that the what I would call "military Cockpit authority culture" could perhaps apply to both LaMia and Asiana. .

Last edited by ATC Watcher; 20th Dec 2016 at 13:11. Reason: addition .