PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRJ down in Sweden
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2016, 10:37
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many guys have commented about failures of system being confirmed by 2 parameters. I've worked for only 1 operator who had that written into the SOP's. It makes common sense. That was in an era before cadets.
Since then, and the during TR courses I've given to cadets, I've tried to suggest that this philosophy should be written into the teaching. No success. Very disappointing. Looking for that 2nd confirming parameter encourages a slight 'sit on your hands moment' and less rush.

It was even written that in an RTO due loss of thrust, the swing/yaw of the a/c was the 2nd parameter. Now I see guys being taught RTO based just on N1 gauges.
In this case, seat of pants g might have been the 2nd parameter. If the instrument is rolling & pitching, but you ain't spilling the coffee, it should cause a question. But are cadets, even old farts, taught this in the sim? I doubt it.

There are various scenarios where a 'it can't be happening' moment could occur. Remember the takeoff brief about RTO <80 & >80. There I was passing 100kts and the takeoff config horn sounded. 1st reaction was, "this should not be happening." I noticed a split flap gauge. 2nd reaction was "doubt, and when there's doubt there is no doubt, so we're better RTO-ing." It was home base, long enough runway. You could put it under the 'a/c unsafe to fly' category. It turned out to be a flap sensor that caused a split in the needles (not the flaps) and locked out the flap system. The point being there was a large ? floating around the flight deck for a couple of seconds.