PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRJ down in Sweden
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2016, 21:26
TowerDog

SkyGod

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
. Of course they have some responsibility, but the problem is that from their first flight at a civilian flight school, they are placed in an environment and thought a mentality that does not prioritize or foster basic pilot skills like the skills you earned in the bush. For many young pilots, this is unfortunately and not by their own fault, their understanding of aviation.
How do we fix it?
Much higher age/hour requirements maybe? Not with a looming pilot shortage, the airlines would be screaming for more warm bodies in the right seat, at whatever cost, just fill the seats..
(One of my buddies is a sim instructor for a well know LCC, now teaching primary guys on the B-737 with 160 to 180 HR total time, then they get spoon-fed from there and into the cockpit of a real 737-800 with 190 pax. Bon Voyage, hope the old man does not get a heart attack)
In my world, I had 5300 hours total time before climbing into a jet the first time, 31 years old. Late bloomer perhaps but I had practiced staying alive for 10 years after I got my Commercial Pilot License.

Don't have the answer, but if I was in charge of training or recruiting, I would look for survival skills, rather than book skills.