PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2016, 07:42
GA Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for some of the explanations, it certainly does explain some of the ML peculiarities from the drivers point of view..... I have a couple of questions.

Extended traffic holding. I have been held longer than the notamed or standard traffic holding advisories a heap of times. Several occasions it got a bit close for comfort so I have called after the flight to ask a few questions. I.e. Why not notamed or why no hazard alert? I've only ever gotten mixed answers such as 'its up to the flow controller' or 'generally we don't do anything unless the traffic holding exceeds the published amount by 10 mins.' I queried the last answer pretty hard and was told the flow controller had spoken to the airlines about reduced movements but 'were happy to run with it' (which doesn't get passed to the crew, why would we need to know???)
What's the story and when WILL you notify us aside from when you issue the star. This is critically important information we need to either load more fuel or make a diversion descision earlier.

Second is the crosswind on the ATIS.
Frequently it isn't even remotely close to actual or any calculations I was ever taught. Last month 330/40. X wind 15. 10 mins later and ATIS change with EXACTLY the same wind but now 18kts xwind. I think I calculated 4 from the ATIS wind and it was in fact straight down 34 on arrival.
To my understanding you report what had been recorded over 15mins? But if it's that bad why aren't we seeing wind varying between xxx and xxx?

On a side note, it's not often over the radio we can pass thanks or commend you guys for when things are going well but it ain't all terrible and we do appreciate the hard work that does get done.

Last edited by GA Driver; 13th Dec 2016 at 07:53.