PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRJ down in Sweden
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2016, 07:26
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrist Watch :
Always happy to see could-never-happen-to-me-itis in post-occurrence threads.
Hindsight is always 20/20; after every accident you can say oh all they had to do was x, etc...
The rational brain is suppressed in situations like these.
Absolutely. Fully agree with you .
After an accident ,Humans and pilots in particular always tend to (and like to) go into a safe protection mode : "this will not have happened to me " . We all have this .
Writing about it here brings nothing except perhaps make themselves feeling better.

We have numerous human factors studies explaining you the "why" and "what" happens in your body/brain when faced into a extreme highly stressed situation . Listening to multiple audio warnings and blinking warning lights rather add to the confusion/stress rather than helping to solve the problem . So I always get a bit annoyed when I read that : " they had a stall warning and did not react as they should have ...etc..."

Likewise, focusing on a single wrong display in isolation and being mind set in correcting it, disregarding other options, is a well known phenomena, known to be aggravated when occurring in middle of the night.
The 3 Miles Island nuclear accident report covers it quite well.
More recently the AF447 BEA report mentions it as well.

What make some posting here so sure they would not be subject to the same human factors ?