PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2016, 15:39
Lonewolf_50

Received 395 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by ImageGear
???

How about the Crimea and Ukraine borders?

Not to get too political about what constitutes a reason for redrawing borders.

Imagegear
Those borders appear to have been redrawn when the USSR became CIS and then became Russia minus a number of former republics. That is consistent, for folks like the Armenians, Georgians, various denizens of the Farbakistans, and in Ukraine, getting the benefit of "new lines on the map" but it does leave their Russian resident populations (sometimes) in a bind (as seen up in the Baltic state) and creates problems of its own.

I guess we won't see populations transfers, as between the Greeks and Turks after WWI, endorsed by the UN as it was by the Powers That Be in Europe a century ago. I suppose that's progress?
The UN seems to have taken on the attitude that "the lines as we see them now (1945) are inviolable unless they change with our approval" are what's 'right' ... hmmm, I guess that does open a can of worms, eh?
Saddam tried to redraw some lines in 1990 (to get that 19th province back) and it didn't seem to work out for him). Putin has better success in the Caucasus, and recently Crimea. Guess who's got a permanent seat on the UNSC?