PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 7th Dec 2016, 13:16
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zero/zero
Where negligence has taken place, someone will need to be held accountable, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the other contributing factors
No need to start banging your head, 2 x zero!
I talked specifically about the other contributing factors that marie mentioned! (I thought that would have been clear from my previous post)
i.e.
Originally Posted by marie paire
a. the PIC failed to declare fuel emergency when it became apparent that the fuel was below the established minimuns. Mayday was never heard;
b. After the flame-out, the crew did not possess the skill to glide the plane to the airport.
I really don't care if lives could have been saved by declaring mayday 3 minutes earlier or if the plane was still able to make it to the airport when it became a glider. (Or if he would have made it if the other planes weren't there)
What we should be really interested in is how it became possible that this captain thought he could get away with what he did (including all contributing factors leading to that state of mind)

Allow me to suggest an aspirine for your headache.