PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2016, 01:51
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Pilot shortage or no pilot shortage, it will have no effect on our terms and conditions in Australia unless we remove our dependence on seniority. The pros are of course horizontal movement of pilots between airlines. And the cons are of course well known.

Only the departure of pilots in large numbers will make a difference, and this will never happen so long as a return means starting again at the bottom.

If we make no changes to the way we operate, Asia Pac could need 2 million pilots in the next 3 years, threads like this would continue to appear, and yet it would make no difference to us here in Oz.

Haven't been here for a while but utter rubbish.

When I was an Ansett F/O there were clowns who came back to Australia and were training captains at Virgin Blue for less pay than an Ansett F/O.

Now, I'm still south 50, can retire though enjoy the $500,000 AUD a year at 15% tax. Remove seniority ( and standards ) and Filipino and Australian pilots would flock to do my job at a considerable cheaper rate.

The enemy of Australian pilots is not seniority but other Australian pilots. Have a look at the first 30 to 50 on the seniority list at Virgin perhaps, or the Impulse guys.