PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2016, 02:17
Arewegettingjets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie Nelson
Popgun hit the nail on the head. I'm one if those young captains that a lot of Asian and ME carriers are keen to get their hands on and for reasons of keeping my family happy and the rule of law if nothing else, I'm not in the least bit interested in upping sticks from Oz.

Clear to land said:

Why is it so many have lost the capacity to see nuance in reasoned debate. Seniority doesn't come in to play until you are deemed meritorious. Ours is one of the only industries that has BOTH merit and seniority. You might not say the above CTL if you were stuck in the RHS of some dodgy state owned carrier that kept on promoting the bosses mates over you.

Of course we would all agree there are downsides to the seniority system for our EBA negotiations and other reasons.

Nevertheless under a seniority system I always felt comfortable as an FO to stand up to management when I felt that they were taking the piss. I could defend my actions in the light of the regulator and company policy and given that I maintained a good standard of merit, the command came when my number came up simple as that.

Seniority has afforded me and my clients a level of unconflicted safety that allows all and sundry to go home to our wives and children each night. Its not the only way to keep things safe but as you say yourself it adds a great degree of "transparency" to the system and that comforts me very much.
Never a truer word said Willie.