PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 2nd Dec 2016, 17:32
barry lloyd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by marie paire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry lloyd View Post
FIRESYSOK:

One of the most sensible posts I have seen on this tragedy. Most contributors to this thread would simply not believe what goes on in the name of aviation in these countries.
Non-sense cultural prejudice. The accident statistics show otherwise. And though small numbers can be deceiving, as per the 2015 safety report the region's accident rate for jet operations was 0.39 which was lower than the 5-year mean rates in Africa (3.69), Asia-Pacific (0.56), CIS (3.14) and the Middle East-North Africa (1.00). And, interestingly enough, the region did the best of all other regions on turbo-prop operations with 0 (thatīs zero) accidents. I can understand that a small charter operator would want to take advantage of a media-heavy event to promote his airline. In any case, the lack of professionalism on this particular flight was appalling. From there to demonize a whole region appears unjustified and uncalled for.
I totally agree. Furthermore, "these countries" is too vague a statement. "These countries" is very large an area where very different realities coexist. The ignorance of some put "these countries" all in the same basket.
Would you prefer it if I said these two countries? As stated previously, I have worked in many countries in South America and I am well aware that there are countries where aviation is performed more safely.

For what it's worth I'm equally tired of seeing the aircraft involved being labelled in the Spanish and Portuguese language press as British as if, in some way, it were a contributory factor in this accident. No-one says American Boeing or French Airbus. Cultural prejudice?