PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 2nd Dec 2016, 14:07
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Till now nothing was mentioned in this thread about decompression.

With all sources depleting the cabin must have started to rise, possibly not enough to trigger already a wrng but maybe was in the mind of the capt to get down quickly and more or less perform an emergency descent. We will know after the cockpit voice recorder transcript will be published (btw, if ever would come available, I would never want to hear the original)

For others disturbed by a general disrespect for non "western" crew, I must say from this part of the hemisphere a looking down on these cultures is western arrogance.
I have audited some "non-western" airlines and I have seen some tremendous professional work been done there, in a very demanding set of conditions, we don't even meet in our worst western dreams.

This accident was with one of those "cowboy" operators, we can find anywhere.

And in the last decade we have seen a few nasty accidents in the western world where poor pilot performance was the key. So don't judge too fast to a whole group.

Accidents do influence a pilot's mind. You wonder if it could have happened to You.
To live with that I read accident reports where I look for the moment in the accident chain where I would have broken it. In some accidents that would have been close to the end, others right at the beginning. So in the end You can sleep on thinking, wouldn't have been me there.
With some dramatic exceptions like the JAL explosive decompression with subsequent loss of control. I have never read someone claiming he would have saved the day in that one.

As far as we kinda "know" till here, the Medellin accident was far beyond I would ever have risked.

Last edited by Double Back; 2nd Dec 2016 at 15:47. Reason: clarified last sentence