PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maurice Kirk is in Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2016, 17:18
terry holloway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homsap
I knew of Maurice Kirk, through a friend who used to fly a Tiger Moth DH82 at Cardiff (Rhoose) about twenty years ago. This guy is fascinating, his battle over being struck off as a vet, years of difficulties with the South Wales Police and fighting the judicial system often as a litigant in person in the higher courts. In one directions hearing in Court from the dock he asked the judge if he could pass a cheque to his sister (as he was on remand) to pay for a lawyer, the Judge asked if he had it in his pocket, he replied that it was three inches up his rectum, to which the judge responded he would not allow him to remove it in court.

There are lots of you tube video's of him including of him in the London appeal court, in which he was removed for shouting at the judge, his friend was sent to jail for filming it! Following his arrest for selling a unregistered deactivated machine gun, he was sectioned under the mental act, wrongly in my opinion, and held in a psychiatric unit for three months. There is also a video of him being interviewed under caution by the South Wales police for threatening to burn down the house of the psychiatrist who falsely sectioned him, I don't think it actually meant to burn the house down! I think he was just angry and frustrated that the police would not disclose his medical records.

It's not for me to judge his airmanship, as I don't have first hand experience of his flying, but with around fourteen engine failures seems rather high, and I wonder if the additional two engines failures on the current Africa trip are a fuel management issue.

The most recent development, is he appears to be seeking asylum (for reasons I don't feel fair to mention on here) in Northern France with the support of the local mayor, this is interesting from a legal point as the UK leaves the European Union!

I should add that his aircraft G-KURK has a current permit to fly and the aircraft is insured, but what makes me wonder is what pilots licence he is using, as I it might be very difficult to ever convince the UK CAA of medical fitness to fly having been sectioned under the mental act, so is he flying on a French Licence or European Licence? I also wonder if on a UK permit to fly an aircraft can legally fly across Europe or does it require an EASA certificate.

I do not think Maurice Kirk has psychiatric problem, but just a very entertaining and amusing example of an eccentric Englishman. Someone really needs to make a screenplay about his life, I say staring John Cleese.

Finally, Maurice if you reading this I wish you all to best for a safe arrival in Cape Town, but do not attempt as you have previously mentioned a further leg to the Falkland Islands afterwards!
I agree all that!