PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulated engine failure after takeoff (SE aeroplanes)
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 23:55
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best place to carry out your practice PFL down to a landing is from the aerodrome overhead.
Yes.

Though I'm not an instructor, I do a lot of advanced training, and actual forced approaches are a big part of that training. EFATO is always briefed, but never actually attempted, other than in floatplanes, when there is lots of lake ahead. It's just not worth the risk on a runway. All of the elements of the EFATO are discussed, and the skills practiced during other PFA's. Every PFA I set up is briefed, and expected to be flown to a landing (which might be a touch and go, but will always be at least a touch). I opine that the last ten feet of the approach are the critical skill, and to have the candidate cross the fence at 50 feet, and go around is missing the most valuable part of the training. Most of my PFAs will therefore be set up from a high, close downwind, with the expectation of a slip, and use of flaps to make it in. A part of the skill is that the better landing zone is the closer one that you can make, rather than stretching a glide, and setting up a poor approach, 'cause at that point, there is little choice.

Throttles are never slammed closed, or jammed open, everything is gradual. I only try to surprise candidates whom I judge to be cocky, and need to be taken down a notch, and they are happily few. Everyone else is briefed, and I stick to the plan - flying works better that way....