PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Favourite Military Banter/Phrases
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2016, 19:17
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
German exchange officers were always pre-warned about Brit banter - which was never really a problem...

On a Tornado squadron, it was the usual Friday shareholders' yawn, yawn, nag, nag session, then at 'any questions' time, the new Luftwaffe exchange mate stood up and in best Harry Enfield Jurgen-the-German accent, announced "I vish to apologise for the conduct of my country during ze war!"...which brightened things up rather!

At Cranwell, the German exchange QFI on 2 Sqn was always trying to improve his English. He was also a keen rough shooter and after a day of killing little fluffy things, asked what the correct English word was for a small hare. Unfortunately he asked Ben Benbow, who maritime Shacklebomber mates might remember. Thus at the Commandant's drinks gathering one Sunday morning, he stunned Mrs Commandant by telling her "Ve are haffing ein good shoot on the airfield yesterday - I myself am getting 2 big hares und several pubics..."

A German exchange pilot at Brawdy was 'teaching' ACM 1v1 to an ex-Gnat creamie - each time they turned inbound, he found himself losing against the Gnat mate. Who just said "Bit like the war this, eh Reine?"....

At Wattisham, our 2 Luftwaffe mates managed to burn a hole in the awful piece of tat which passed for the OM bar carpet and were told by OC Bogs and Drains that they would have to replace it. But they demanded to keep the burned bit; when asked why, it seems that they'd intended to get it framed with a little plaque stating "Result of the Luftwaffe raid on RAF Wattisham - 40 years too late!". But I don't know whether they ever did.

No doubt the fun police and EO luvvies wouldn't allow such banter these days though...